For Christmas I received a 10″ Pre-seasoned Lodge Cast Iron Skillet. At first glance, cast iron skillets might seem intimidating and they are heavy as heck! I have to use two arms to lift the thing! However, it really is worth the investment if you decide to purchase one. Here are 5 reasons why I love my cast iron skillet:
- Easy clean up: You shouldn’t use soap on the iron skillet because it can strip away the seasoning. Just rinse with warm water and use a washcloth and salt to scrub if necessary and dry thoroughly to prevent rusting. Very important to apply a thin layer of oil after each cleaning.
- Multifunctional: take it camping. Transfer to the oven. Roast, fry, bake, braising, simmer, anything!
- Lasts forever: True that I’ve had it about 2 weeks now, but based on reviews and the tough material, I’m sure it will take me through a few decades and then some.
- Retains heat: Love this! I can prepare a dish and it will stay warm longer.
- Wide range of recipes: Doing a quick search on Pinterest will pull up endless recipes to use with your cast iron skillet; cookies, pizza, baked eggs, etc!
Be sure to check back next Monday about how to care for your cast iron skillet.
Tell us, do you own a cast iron skillet? How often do you use it?