Remember the Savory Stuffed Pumpkin recipe we featured last year, filled with crusty bread and gooey, rich cheese sauce? I’ve been waiting all year to try out a different version for you guys, this time filled with home-cooked risotto in a mushroom and red wine sauce. Oh man…I’m sure I don’t have to spell it out, but I will. Y-U-M. I used red wine for this recipe but think white wine might actually work better, aesthetically speaking. Perfect for large holiday gatherings.
Time: 60 minutes
- 1 medium pumpkin (8 inches diameter)
- 8 oz Arborio rice
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 Tbsps butter
- 8-10 small white mushrooms, sliced
- 8 oz red or white wine
- 24 oz. chicken stock
- 8 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt, Pepper & Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Carefully slice the top 1/3 off the pumpkin.
- Rub inside of both portions of pumpkin with olive oil, sprinkle lightly with salt & pepper and place on the middle rack of the oven. Set timer for 60 minutes.
- After pumpkin has cooked for roughly 45 minutes, begin the risotto.
- In a large pan, sauté onions and mushrooms in one tablespoon of butter until translucent.
- Add rice and stir until evenly coated.
- Add wine to the rice and stir slowly until majority of liquid is evaporated.
- Add chicken stock in ½ cup intervals. Stir slowly and consistently, do not allow rice to stick to bottom of the pan and add more stock only when majority of liquid has evaporated.
- Pumpkin should be fully cooked and pierce easily with a knife by now. Remove from the oven and scrape out the top inch of flesh from the bottom “bowl” of the pumpkin and add flesh to risotto pan.
- Add remaining butter and Parmesan cheese to risotto and stir well.
- Pour risotto into pumpkin bowl and garnish with salt & pepper.
- When serving, feel free to scoop out extra pumpkin with each serving for those guests who want a little more gourd in their dinner!
Do you have a favorite stuffed pumpkin recipe? Share with us in the comments below!