Our love for salads is no secret here at Totsy, in fact we make a conscious effort to space out our green-lovin’ recipes to avoid giving you all salad fatigue. So what’s a girl to do when the cold weather sets in and salads are no longer, shall we say, appropriate? One word…kale! Time to say goodbye to mixed greens and hello to their curly, vitamin-loaded cousin. We’ve been making massaged kale salads several times a week in our house recently, and I have yet to find a version that isn’t darn delicious. Shared here is a fall-inspired recipe replete with crisp apples, feta and toasted walnuts. Serve with a cup of soup and a loaf of crusty bread, and maybe some apple cider!
Kale & Apple Salad
- Serves: 3-4
- Time: 30 minutes
- 1 large head of kale, stems removed and leaves finely chopped
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- ½ cup toasted walnuts
- 1 apple, core removed and cubed
- 2 Tbsps diced red or green onion
- 4 Tbsps olive oil
- 2 Tbsps balsamic vinegar
- Juice from 1 inch slice of lemon
- ½ tsp agave or honey
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Mix dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add kale to a large bowl, and slowly stir in dressing, massaging leaves thoroughly with your hands. Don’t worry, the green washes off.
- Allow to remain @ room temp for 30 minutes, or in the fridge for up to several hours. Extra time just makes the kale more tender and tasty.
- When ready to serve, toss the remaining ingredients into the kale and serve in 3-4 small bowls. Enjoy!