In honor of Grilled Cheese Month, we whipped up an elevated twist on an old
standard, complete with tart and sweet pears and savory melted cheese, accented by the spice of raisin bread. This sandwich is impossible to turn down. Thanks to the Los Angeles Times Test Kitchen for the original recipe in last year’s Grilled Cheese roundup. We’ve made a couple minor tweaks: white cheddar instead
of blue cheese, and regular honey.
Grilled Cheese & Pears On Raisin Bread
Time: 20 minutes
- 4 slices raisin bread
- 4 ounces white cheddar cheese-shredded
- 2 Tbsps butter-melted
- 1 pear (slightly under-ripe)- cored & sliced thin
- Heat your cast-iron pan or griddle over medium heat.
- Lightly brush one side of each slice of bread with butter
- Add half of your cheese to the unbuttered side of each bread slice, followed by a single layer of pear, and then top with the remaining bread slices, buttered side out
- Gently place sandwiches in the pan or on the griddle, and weigh them down with a heavy pan or steak weight
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side
- Remove from heat, cut into as many pieces as desired. Lightly drizzle with honey