What child doesn’t love mac and cheese – then again, what adult doesn’t?? Check out this recipe for Mac & Cheese Muffins (by Emily Bites). There are veggies in it and they look cute enough that the kids will devour them.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 3 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 oz shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 4 cups cooked whole wheat macaroni
- 1 (10 oz) package of frozen chopped spinach, defrosted, drained and patted dry OR 1 cup fresh cooked spinach
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 400. Lightly mist a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small sauce pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour, mixing it into the butter until thick. Stir in the milk and garlic and raise the temp to bring the mixture to just under a boil. Add the cheese and whisk mixture together until thoroughly combined into a cheese sauce.
- Remove the cheese sauce from heat and then mix in the egg and egg white (binding agents) until combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta, spinach, cheese sauce, salt, and pepper and mix together. Spoon the mixture evenly into the cups of your prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until the tops slightly brown. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from muffin tin.