Throw the toast back in the cupboard, we’re goin’ south o’ the border for breakfast today. Tacos baby! Doesn’t everyone love tacos? I suppose your kids need to be old enough to manage the whole messy tortilla/filling situation, but even toddlers can stab at the delicious ingredients with a fork. Enjoy – and remember you can sub in many different veggies and other ingredients, whatever sounds good.
Sizzling Breakfast Tacos
Time: 25 minutes
- 1 medium tomato – diced
- ½ yellow onion – diced
- ½ zucchini – thinly sliced rounds
- ½ lb sausage (use chicken or turkey for a healthier version)
- 1 cup steamed diced potato (red potato is my fave variety for this)
- 2 eggs
- Whole wheat tortillas
- Shredded cheese (sharp white cheddar in our house)
- Mild fresh salsa
- Sliced avocado
- Salt, Pepper & Cumin
- In a large pan over medium heat, sauté the sausage until cooked completely.
- Add tomatoes, onions and zucchini and cook until browned and translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes and stir evenly to warm entire mixture thoroughly.
- Beat the 2 eggs lightly in a bowl and then add to the pan, stirring to disperse egg evenly throughout.
- Add salt, pepper and cumin to taste.
- Sprinkle cheese in the middle of the tortillas and place in the oven on “Broil” just long enough to warm the tortillas and melt the cheese.
- Remove tortillas from the oven, spoon some of the fabulous pan mixture into each one.
- Add a spoonful of salsa and few slices to each taco before serving.