Is there anything better than a home-cooked meal from your grandmother on a cold winter day? I think not. My grandma is a beautiful, sassy and loving redhead gal, a master baker and a fantastic cook with a knack for southwest cooking. She made this dish for our family over the holidays …let’s just say people went back for thirds. It’s a total crowd pleaser for the whole table – young and old. Top with some sliced avocado and serve with a green salad to be complete!
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
Prep Time: 35 min
- 1 lb ground meat (we use organic beef)
- ½ cup white onions – chopped
- 1 can stewed tomatoes
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 can cream style corn
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can black olives
- 1 cup corn meal
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 1 can evaporated condensed milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 clove garlic – minced
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 tsp cumin
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Sauté ground meat with onions and garlic in a large pan until cooked thoroughly.
- Add tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes and cream corn and mix well.
- Stir in taco seasoning and cumin thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl – combine corn meal, canola oil, condensed milk and eggs. Mix well.
- Add corn meal mixture to the pan and stir.
- Add black beans and olives to the pan and mix gently.
- Pour mixture into a greased 8×10 pan.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Stick a clean knife in the center, if it comes out clean it’s done.