Here at Totsy, we’ve already received invites to countless holiday parties. And we know from experience that scouring the shelves for perfect presents for the whole family can get tiring (and super stressful!). And on top grabbing gifts, decorating, and cooking, we are tasked with finding the perfect party dress. Get lucky and you’ll be the belle of the ball in a frock that highlights your every asset. But one tiny misstep and you’ll be forced to gawk at photos of yourself in a too-tight dress for the entire new year.
To help you look —and feel —your best in front of your guests, we’ve put together the ultimate holiday dress guide. Whether you’re pear shaped, petite, or pregnant, we have a few helpful tips for you!
1. Slender: If you’re lacking in the hips department, go for a dress that hugs your waist to create the illusion of an hourglass figure (extra points for one that also draws attention to your bust line). Forget the gourmet desserts and fancy decorations —you’ll be the star of that next holiday party!
2. Pear Shaped: If you’re tiny on top but have more than enough oomph on the bottom, scoop up a dress that accentuates your bust. While a fitted top is the way to go, you can avoid too-tight bottoms with an A-line skirt. If you’re feeling adventurous, go for an embellished top —it will draw eyes upward. Voila! You’ll be an unforgettable holiday hostess in no time!
3. Petite: Small gals, ditch those multicolored dresses and try the monochrome trend. One color from top to bottom will make your look longer and leaner. Plus, it’s super easy, so you can hit those holiday parties without wasting precious shopping time playing mix and match in your closet. While leg lengthening asymmetrical hemlines are a plus, avoid fuller skirts and floor grazing gowns —they’ll drown your tiny frame!
4. Busty: Your girls are always with you, so why not make ‘em look good? Sure, you can go ahead and flaunt your assets, but your dress should also be tasteful and fully cover your bust. Support on top is key, and you can wow them with that gorgeous body by cinching your waist with a belt.
5. Curvy all over: Ladies, we love your curves, but do you? Don’t try to cover them up with drapey dresses —they only pack on extra bulk! Instead, hunt down a dress that fits you well and makes you feel ultra sexy. Go for fabrics that don’t cling to the body and hit just above or below the knees. If you’re feeling self-conscious, a little bit of shape-wear will be a major confidence booster.
6. Hourglass: Congratulations, you lucky lady! Feel free to splurge on just about any dress that catches your eye this season (you deserve it!). But remember: keep your look timeless and family friendly. You don’t want to have a ‘what was I thinking?!’ moment this season, because those second cousins you see once a year will document it on Facebook.
7. Pregnant: If you have a little one on the way (cheers!), a draped dress will keep your bulging baby bump under control. Choose black to get that extra slimming effect.
And remember, moms, be festive and have fun —‘tis the season to rock what you’ve got!
Find your holiday dress on Totsy at up to 66% off! SALE ENDS 12/9.