From the design house of Marc Jacobs to the closets of celebs like Emma Stone, feminine lace numbers have been totally on trend this fall. Done right, you’ll look like nothing less than a style star. But done wrong, you’ll be stuck spending the night untagging Facebook photos of yourself in see-through tops and curtain-esque dresses.
Here at Totsy, more than a few of us are planning to don a little bit of lace to our next big holiday party. So, here are five tips on how to rock one of the hottest looks on the runway right now:
1. Stick to one lace piece at a time. Lace peep toe pumps: hot. But one you combine them with a lace dress, tights, and handbag, you’ll look like you’ve been shopping in the home goods department. If you do decide to step out in lace shoes, pair ‘em with your favorite black frock or best pair of form fitting jeans. Or, if you already own a lace tank, throw on a polished blazer and hit the town looking haute.
2. Avoid see through. When decked out in lace, see through is a recipe for disaster. Even if you pick up a tank to wear under that too-thin top, straps will be visible and necklines will clash. So, do your upper half a favor and go for blouses that are already lined or created from a thicker lace that won’t showcase your bra!
3. Short and snug won’t work. If you decide to make a statement with a lace skirt, choose one that hits a few inches above the knee -but don’t go overboard! Lace is already the most flirty material out there, so make sure you wear enough of it!
4. Black Lace Dress = LBD. This means you should wear it the same way: pull out those colorful heels and bright bag. Don’t be shy!
5. Start out small. If you’re ambivalent about incorporating this trend into your neutral fall wardrobe, try small accessories like earrings or a bracelet before you take the big plunge. Good luck, gals -we know you’ll look tres chic!