With Halloween and a week of candy and sweets behind us, I thought a light and healthy recipe might be just the trick to counter all those treats. If you’ve never cooked with Quinoa before, it is the easiest and most forgiving grain in the whole darn family. It cooks in 10-12 minutes and is one of the healthiest carbs you can eat, just ask Dr. Oz. Plus no kid can resist the allure of peanut sauce! Unless they’re allergic of course. Here goes.
Zesty Peanut Quinoa Sauté
Time: 30 min
- 2 cups chicken breast – cooked, seasoned and diced
- 1 cup quinoa – cooked, yields roughly 4 cups
- 2 cups spinach leaves – washed
- 1 cup cucumber – peeled and diced
- 1 cup carrot – peeled and sliced
- 2 green onion stalks – diced
Sauce: Creamy peanut butter, olive oil, seasoned rice wine vinegar, fresh lime juice, and soy sauce – roughly equal parts, adjust to taste. You’ll want almost a cup of sauce at the end.
- Begin cooking the quinoa as directed on package.
- After quinoa is 50% cooked, add the carrots to the pot and stir.
- When quinoa & carrots have finished cooking, remove from heat, stir in the chicken and then replace lid and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add spinach and cucumber to the pot and stir.
- Drizzle sauce evenly over entire mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Serve individually in large soup bowls and sprinkle with green onion.
* For the more adventurous eaters, try chopping handfuls of peanuts and cilantro and sprinkling on top along with the green onion. Delicious!