Hey Totsy moms, it’s Autumn coming to you from Totsy in California, with this week’s recipe tip. Out here we’re big on sunshine, swimsuits, and salads – year-round. Well the salad part at least. This one was my favorite as a little girl, and even now my 43 year-old foodie brother still asks for it by name. So you know it’s tasty. More importantly, it’s super easy and your kids will love it.
Time: 30 min, Serves: 3-4
- Ground Beef or Turkey – cook a half-pound or so of your favorite ground meat. Season to taste, and set aside to cool.
- Organic tomatoes (any variety) – two medium-sized, diced
- Avocado – one medium sized, cubed
- Cheddar cheese – 1 cup grated
- Green onion – one stalk, finely chopped
- Romaine lettuce – one head, washed and chopped
- Garbanzo or kidney beans – half to whole can
- Corn – 1 cup frozen & defrosted
- Tortilla chips or strips*
Dressing: Mayo, salsa, ketchup, rice wine vinegar, olive oil. Use the ketchup and mayo sparingly, just enough to make it slightly creamy and sweet. The vinegar, oil and salsa comprise the majority of this dressing. Sounds crazy, but trust. It’s deelish.
Assembly is simple. Once the ground meat has been cooked and cooled:
- Combine all of your ingredients (besides the chips) together in a bowl.
- Toss with your dressing, starting small and adding as you need.
- Crush the tortilla chips* and sprinkle on top of each plate as you serve.
*For an extra special treat, sub out the tortilla chips for Doritos. Oh yeah, I said it. Even us health freaks in Cali love the Doritos every now and again.