Believe me, I know what it’s like to have to cook for the family after an already exhausting day of work, cleaning, and picking up the kids from camp. That’s why I’ve grown to stow a few quick and simple recipes up my sleeve when time is tight and the tots are hungry.
Here’s a pasta dish the whole family can enjoy. Best of all, it doesn’t take hours to prepare and is super easy to throw together – I’ve been doing it since high school when my parents had to work late. Keep reading and you’ll discover my secret ingredient!
Moms, get ready to savor this dish and all the time you save!
I use whole wheat pasta and jarred sauce — the one with real ingredients, so that means no fillers, no sugars. You can also puree some leafy greens and “hide” it in the sauce.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and saute onions and garlic.
- Add ground chicken, it’s healthier and has less fat than beef. Cook this until it is slightly browned.
- Throw in the sauce and pureed leafy greens.
- Season with salt, pepper and oregano.
- Now get ready, this is the secret ingredient: BBQ sauce. Add a dash of this into the mixture and stir all together.
- Add fresh Parmesan cheese and fresh basil on top and serve while hot!
Here are some more tips:
- Use penne or spiral pasta and spaghetti gets too messy
- Try using ground turkey as an alternative