1. What’s your go-to fashion item? My go-to fashion items are knee-high black boots and a black v-neck t-shirt. They both can be dressed up or down, and the basic styles always make me feel like at least a little part of me still has it together!
2. What’s been your favorite moment as a mom? My favorite moments as a mom was when my husband and I decided that it as the right time to quit my corporate job and start staying home full-time with my two toddlers. It was a big decision, but it’s THE best choice I’ve ever made as a parent.
3. What has been your strangest pregnancy craving? My strangest pregnancy craving was oranges and graham crackers. I was in an all-day training session for work and I had to leave the meeting and go get both!
4. Tell us the funniest thing your kid has ever said to you. Is there a story behind it ? When my 2.5 year old really wants to get out of his crib after he’s supposed to go to bed he starts by calling for me. One night, after a few rounds of, “Mama, Mama!” he said, “I have to throw up.” Of course, I grabbed him and ran him into the bathroom. When I turned on the light I saw him snuggled up to my shoulder with a big smile on his face. Since then, he’s regularly tried to tell me he has to throw up when he wants to get out of bed!
5. There are so many topics to cover in terms or blogging. How do you determine which ones to focus on and which ones are off-limits? As a regular bargain-hunter, I loved reading coupon and deal blogs. I had found a few that had focused on baby deals and tips for saving money on kids, but I didn’t see any that featured the baby deals I was regularly finding on my own. I realized that there might be a place for me on the web to start sharing the deals that I found. It turns out I was right!
6. When did you decide to taking blogging seriously and why? What sparked this? I started taking blogging seriously within the first month of starting my website. It didn’t matter that I was only seeing 10 or 20 visitors a day. Those were people who were interested in the information I was putting out there! That number has grown a lot in past few years, but I still think every reader is important and I work hard no matter how many people visit my site.
7. Marybeth, you graduated with a degree in finance and are a finance expert, what are some money-saving tips you have for all the moms out there? I have a few money-saving tips:
A. Don’t shop with a credit card unless you can pay off the balance every month. That interest you pay eats away at any savings you could build up.
B. Don’t try to keep up with anyone else. Believe me, EVERYONE has a favorite product that they think you just HAVE to have. Regularly evaluate what you want and need against what you already have to make sure you’re making a smart purchase.
C. Do-it-yourself: If you’re creative, a sewing machine can provide you with burp cloths, blankets, carriers and even cloth diapers. If you don’t have a sewing machine, tutus, hair bows and baby wrap carriers can be made with a pattern and some scissors. Even if you aren’t crafty, you can make a month’s worth of baby food in an afternoon or fashion some fabulous kids’ toys out of items found around the house.
D. Read my website 🙂 Really! I find plenty of baby deals but I also offer tips on how to save and make money. I truly believe having a baby is not expensive is you’re smart about it.
Marybeth is a member of the Totsy Mom Committee. You can visit her website here: http://www.babygoodbuys.com. Follow her on Twitter (@BabyGoodBuys) or friend her on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BabyGoodBuys.