So, we don’t really know who decides these things, but April is National Grilled Cheese Month. Who doesn’t love a salty, buttery, toasted slice of bread sandwiching ooey gooey cheese?? It’s the ultimate comfort food. We at Totsy love it and our perfect grilled cheese sandwich is kid-approved! Your little ones will love this!
Servings: 2 sandwiches
- 4 slices of white sandwich bread
- 1/4 pound cheddar cheese, slice 1/3” thick
- Unsalted butter, room temperature
What You’ll Need:
- Skillet – cast iron works best
- Heat the skillet on low heat and add enough butter to coat the pan evenly.
- Assemble the slices of bread with the cheese and gently press them together to hold them in place.
- Put the sandwich in the bottom of the pan.
- Cook over low heat. Use the spatula to check for a golden brown color after 5 minutes.
- After a golden brown color has been achieved, flip the sandwich over and check after 5 minutes for the same golden brown color. Cheese should be completely melted at this point.
- Plate the sandwich and serve with a bowl of tomato soup. Yum!
- Use whole wheat bread.
- Look for cheeses made with skim or part-skim milk.
- Instead of butter, use an olive oil spray. If you really want that buttery taste, use non-hydrogenated, omega-3 butter liek Smart Balance.
- Add a slice of tomato – added dose of vitamin C and lycopene. Research shows that lycopene can prevent certain types of cancer.