Kids love to be a part of the cooking process. This simple taco recipe will allow them to participate, like sprinkling the cheese or tearing up the lettuce. They’ll love eating this recipe as much as they loved making it!!
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 15oz can pinto beans – rinsed
- 3/4 cup mild salsa – room temperature
- 1 heart of romaine
- 8 taco shells
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar
- 3/4 lb skinless boneless chicken breasts – cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning mix
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 garlic cloves – chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Place the chicken, garlic, lime juice and taco seasoning mix in a bowl, add some salt and pepper for taste and mix well.
- Heat oil in large nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the chicken mixture and cook for 1 minute without stirring. Stir fry until chicken is lightly browned. (3-5 minutes). Add beans and heat through, stirring occasionally.
- Rip apart lettuce into bit sized pieces.
- Divide taco shells among 4 plates. Divide chicken and pinto beans mixture among taco shells and top with lettuce, Cheddar, and salsa.
[Picture courtesy of Reader’s Digest]