It’s Oscar weekend! The Oscars are all about glam, fashion, celebs and fun so why not bring some of that excitement into your own home? Host your own Oscar party with money-saving hors d’oeuvres, cocktails (and mocktails), and fun Oscar games. Below are some of our fav drinks and snacks. Enjoy!
THE BRAD PITT COCKTAIL – why is it called the Brad Pitt? Cause it’s refreshing and mouthwatering, just like the man himself =)
- 1 fresh lime
- 2 fresh cucumbers
- 1 pinch of fresh mint
- 2 ounces Vodka
- 3 ounces of Tonic Water
- Squeeze juice from 1 lime into a cocktail shaker filled halfway with ice cubes.
- Add 2 lime wedges, 3 thinly sliced cucumber slices, a handful of mint, vodka, and Tonic Water to shaker.
- Pour contents into tall cocktail glass.
THE RED CARPET FIZZ MOCKTAIL – Love the bubbly, but don’t like the alcohol? Perfect for kids, too!
- 3 parts Sparkling Cider
- 1 part Cranberry juice
- 1 Raspberry
Pour ingredients into a Champagne Flute and then garnish with a raspberry.
Your BACON WRAPPED DATE for the Oscars – Who doesn’t like savory and sweet? This is the ultimate combo!
- 18 (1- by 1/4-inch) sticks Parmigiano-Reggiano (from a 1/2- lb piece)
- 18 pitted dates
- 6 bacon slices, cut crosswise into thirds
Special equipment: 18 small bamboo picks
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 450 F.
- Stuff 1 piece of cheese into each date, then wrap 1 piece of bacon around each date, securing it with a pick. Arrange dates 1 inch apart in a shallow baking pan.
- Bake 5 minutes, then turn dates over with tongs and bake until bacon is crisp, 5 to 6 minutes more.
- Drain on a paper bag or parchment. Serve immediately.
ROASTED CHICKPEAS (serves 8) – Not interested in bacon? How about a nice vegan snack? YES PLEASE!
- 2 (12 oz) cans chickpeas – drained
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt (optional)
- Garlic salt (optional)
- Cayenne pepper (optional)
**Although the seasonings are optional, I highly recommend the garlic and cayenne pepper because it adds a nice kick to the recipe.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Blot chickpeas with a paper towel to dry them. In a bowl, toss chickpeas with olive oil, and season to taste with salt, garlic salt, and cayenne pepper, if using. Spread on a baking sheet, and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until browned and crunchy. Watch carefully the last few minutes to avoid burning.
AND THE WINNER IS…..
After you’ve snacked and had a few cocktails (or mocktails), why not have some fun before settling down to watch the awards? Stage your own Oscar Awards and hand out replica Oscar statues. Here are some suggested award categories:
- Best dressed
- Best karaoke performance
- The guest who can give the best impromptu, improvised acceptance speech
- Prediction winner (person who correctly guessed the winners in each category)
For more fun Oscar ideas, visit Celebrations.com.