Poor dog did not know where to walk in all the snow this morning!
We are getting a great bout of snow this week and I know my kiddos at work are certainly feeling the excitement of an impending snow day. (I am crossing my fingers for one – I have never been able to take advantage of one before!)
Are you hoping for a snow day? Dreading it? Just not sure what you will do if there is one? Try a couple of these ideas…
- Read a book together – maybe a favorite from when your kiddos were younger.
- Build a fort with blankets and pillows (a great spot for reading!) – you may also want to include the underside of a table for a high area.
- Make trail mix! Combine cereals, pretzels, chocolate chips, broken cookies, nuts, dried fruit, raisins or whatever else you might have little bits of – really anything together will work. I have found if the kiddos are involved in making it they will eat almost anything!
- Use the bathtub as a “water table” fill it up and test what items will sink and float, throw in some dish or bubble bath (bubbles are always fun) don’t forget some sponges, plastic cups, spoons, completely plastic toys and anything else you are okay with going in the tub or sink.
- Make play dough – it is always fun to get messy!
- Watch a movie together. (enjoy some popcorn or the trail mix you made!)
- Make Valentines. (Or write a letter to a loved one.)
- Invite a neighbor over for lunch – if they have kiddos to play with your kiddos, even better! Adults can enjoy some great conversation and kiddos can play together.
- Go sledding
- Build a snow family or fort, or a tunnel or a spaceship or an outdoor living space – the possibilities are endless.
- Use empty spray bottles and fill them with water and some food coloring or liquid water color and color the snow! This is a ton of fun, make shapes, spray your name in the snow, make pictures, go crazy.
- Catch snowflakes on your tongue.
- Have a snowball fight.
- Help the neighborhood shovel out! It is always nice to do something for someone else.
- Wash the car – rub snow on it!
- Take a walk.
I have more ideas… what would you think of monthly family activity ideas that have little or no cost? Please let us know your thoughts!