Congratulations to our Mom of the Week, Amanda from Highland, Illinois! Amanda is the proud mom of two little boys and has a heart of gold. She has chosen to have her gift of a CoCaLo bedding set delivered to her sister, Sarah, instead of keeping it. Amanda has not seen Sarah in over a year and had just given birth to a baby. The sisters are very close and consider each other to be best friends. Totsy believes that Amanda should also be the Sister of the Week!
Let’s learn more about the mom behind this touching story.
1. What is the one thing you can’t live without? The one thing I can’t live without besides my family is a pencil and paper. I’ve written poetry and prose for as long as I can remember. There is something beautiful and tantalizing about the faint blue lines of paper that a computer screen cannot rival. My fingers have been calloused by years of writing in pencil and only a little less now that I have a toddler that doesn’t excuse me much time to write.
2. What’s your favorite beauty item of all time? My favorite beauty item of all time would be red lipstick. I love watching classic movies, even in the black and white ones you can tell the women are wearing red matte lipstick. I don’t wear it all the time, but when I get to go out and be a little less Mommy and more Wife(y) I always take care to paint my lips a rouge red, dabbing them on a piece of tissue and blowing a kiss to the mirror. I keep it tucked away like a keepsake, a treasure amidst all the rest of my beauty items.
3. What’s your go-to fashion item? My go-to fashion item would be jeans! You can do anything with jeans now. They’re magical I tell you! I can wake up and toss them on for house work; for singing Sesame Street. I can turn around and put on a nicer shirt with ballerina slippers and run off to volunteer at the school functions and then still yet put on a semi-formal blouse with pumps and be ready for a nice dinner out with my husband. Jeans are the perfect go-to (anything) fashion item.
4. What’s been your favorite trend of all? My favorite fashion trend is a little out of date. I love 50s fashion. It’s elegant, dainty… classic. The birth of Dior fashion, the acceptance of womens jeans and of course silks and petticoats. Also, I wish I could make my husband wear a 50s suit and fedora every day before he went to work.
5. What’s one fashion/beauty item you’ll never touch? And Why? I will never touch any beauty item that contains anything remotely like Botox or Collagen. I think using these things makes us forget about our natural beauty. Our wrinkles, smile lines and crows feet are absolutely not fun to have but for me when I look into the mirror and I begin seeing them I just imagine that they are the lines of my life story. I remember so clearly watching my Mother age slowly over time and thinking to myself how beautiful she was and is even now in her 50s. Even my Grandmother was naturally beautiful. They didn’t have the insecurity of trying to have a teenagers face on a woman’s body, they were women and Mothers who’d seen hard days and who had smiled a bit too much in the good times. I would never touch those beauty items because they are completely unnecessary.
6. TV shows you must tune into each week? I’m a sucker for Drama! The T.V. show I mostly tune into each week is Parenthood. It has so many aspects of family and the actors are so good that I actually tear up every time Kristina (that’s the mother to Max the boy with Aspergers) starts opening even remotely about the difficulties of being a Stay at Home Mom.
7. Website you absolutely must check out daily? Oh goodness. The website I must absolutely check daily. Ha! There are so many but the one I must absolutely check is Facebook. It somewhat takes care of many of them, even Totsy! It lets me know when there are good deals, coupons and sales going on while still updating me on my family and friends! Anything that helps me conserve my time is great since I have so little of it! Which is why I’m absolutely fond of Totsy being on Facebook so as to help me be capable of clicking when there is an amazing deal.
Want to become Totsy’s Mom of the Week? Winners receive awesome prizes from CoCaLo in January.Invite your mommy friends to join. We pick a new mom every week…it could be you!! http://bit.ly/d5JNrG