(Images and recipe courtesy of IowaGirlEats.com)
Corndogs make me nostalgic. It reminds me of carnivals and summers along the beach. Here’s a healthier alternative to the deep friend hotdog on a stick – baked corn muffins stuffed with cut-up hotdogs. Just as yummy, minus the deep fried batter.
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8-10 hot dogs, cut into 1″ bites
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine butter and sugar in a bowl, and whisk to combine. Add eggs and whisk to incorporate. Add buttermilk and whisk to incorporate.
- In a separate bowl, combine baking soda, cornmeal, flour, and salt, and stir to combine. Whisk into wet ingredients in two batches.
- Spray a mini muffin tin with non-stick spray, and spoon 1 Tablespoon of batter into each mini muffin cup. Place one hot dog bite into the middle of each cup.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes (oven temperatures vary), or until cornbread is golden brown. Cool in mini muffin tin for 5 minutes before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator, and re-heat for 20-30 seconds before serving.